Water leak in your Roof?
Here are 7 steps to protect your home and family.
During the rainy season its important to protect your home from a water leak. As a real estate broker I have seen and experienced many leaks due to damaged roofing that only appears during a constant water source when raining. If you experience flooding here is what you should do.
- Place large buckets or trashcans to protect the flooring in your home.
- Dry up the existing water on the floor and place an additional plastic sheet to protect the flooring under your buckets.
- Poke a small hole with a pencil or nail in your drywall to prevent water accumulation in your ceiling. This provides a place for the water to drain out from the roof.
- If water buildup is significant be sure to cut open the drywall so the air can dry out the area above.
- Contract a roofer to evaluate if the damage to the roof is due to damaged paper in one small area of the roof or if the damage is more widespread. Complete roof repairs as soon as possible.
- Be sure that the area above the drywall is dry. Fans may be necessary to blow into the area above and dry out wet areas. Bleach may also be sprayed into wet areas to kill any mold that may be developing in these areas.
- Patch up drywall and texture to match the existing texture on your walls and ceiling.
Contact your insurance company to see if you have coverage for these repairs. Its important to fix leaks immediately to prevent mold and further damage to your home. If mold exists please contact a mold remediation specialist to provide mold remediation immediately. Your health an the health of all occupants in your home is the most important factor when dealing with any water leak or water damage.
If you need any assistance locating local Orange County Contractors or Roofers to assist you with your needs call Jesse Madison, Local Orange County Real Estate Broker to assist you with reputable vendors at 949-306-8416.